Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Satang Island Trip (Part II)

the facilities on the island are minimal at best. a few huts, and a bigger rest house. the Forestry officers who maintain the island and monitor turtles' activities live in another rest house next to ours.


there are two rooms with plank beds, a kitchen, and a pretty run down toilet/bathroom on the other side. no fridge, so in the next trip, I'll be bringing my cold beers in a chiller...


sand-flies are the utmost feared creatures on the island, so we all had to apply plenty of those mozzie-repellent, day and night...

the sky of Satang Island at night was amazing. I didn't sleep for the night, and went out to the shore. the night sky was literally jam-packed with stars, from one end to the other end. never in my life have I seen this kindda thing in Kuching... and it reminded me of the star studded skyline of Aussie, when I was studying there 6 years ago... too bad my camera is not those DSLR, and I couldn't capture the night sky to show off...


then dawn came...


I won't mind staring up to this view every morning when I wake up...


dawn at Satang Island was a sight to behold... truly magnificent...


the sun was up... and everything was just soothing...


the tide was low in the morning, so we went over to the rocky part of the beach to look for oysters...


you don't get it fresher than this babeh!!...


these stuff would put Merdeka Palace's and Majestic Cafe's oyster buffet to shame...

and for no apparent reasons, thongs kept on stumbling onto sea-cucumber buggers when we were searching for oysters...


kuku-lookalike bugger no.1


bugger no.2...


dunno what the hell was this... probably a jelly fish or something... but confirm dead already lah...


and then we were told that there was a turtle which came up at around 5am on the right-most side of the beach...

darn... we all waited for the turtle to come up to lay its eggs until about 3am, but none appeared... then it was low tide already, so we thought it's unlikely that turtles would come up, so went back to nap... sigh... it's just not meant to be...


apparently she only came up for a stroll, and did not lay any eggs... :(


me & Satang Island sand...

I'm definitely coming back to this Island again... most probably in July...

No comments: