Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sabah trip [Part 2] - The Climb....

Our travel agent driver - Augustine arrived at the hotel at 7.30am to pick us up to the Kinabalu Park for the climb. of all things that I could forget, stupid me left my climbing stick, which I bought purposely for this trip, in the hotel room, despite Jo twice reminding me to stuff it into my backpack... -_____-'....



by the time I realized that, we were already halfway to Kinabalu Park... so I called the hotel and got the receptionist to safe keep my climbing stick until we check back in the hotel 2 days later... sigh~~~....


Augustine got us registered, and introduced us to our guide - Januarius


and for a fee of RM7 per kilo, we got Januarius to carry our two backpacks, which tipped the scale at a total 14 kgs...


hehehe... still can pose and smile before the climb... wait till you see my half-dead look later on...


we started off at 10.05am at the Timpohon Gate... bought a wooden walking stick for RM3 each... damn... the one that was left inside the hotel room cost like 15 times more wei... argghhh...!!!....


reached the KM1.0 mark in less than an hour... and I still felt pretty okay...


had lunch at the 3KM resting point, and the lady still got time to go feed them squirrels... surprisingly they were not afraid of people... probably because they charm most climbers for food with their cuteness...


my half-dead look at the KM3 pit stop... -____-
my legs were getting tired already... but the lady was still chirpy and stuff... wt...


my pace slowed down from being able to cover less than 1km per hour to a tortoise pace of 1km per 1.5 hour in the final 3km+ of the climb. plus, the fog/mist was getting heavier, and it also started raining, which made our climb even harder, with slippery rocks and muddy terrain... aduhh....


told Jo to go ahead and not wait for me as Januarius would be following my pace instead. she reached Labuan Rata in less than 7 hours, after wasted some time waiting for me at the 4th and 5th pit stops while I reached Labuan Rata at about 6pm, 5 minutes short of 8 freakin' hours... *faint*...


I literally could not feel my legs when I sat my butt down... stayed stationary for a good 30 minutes, enjoying the outside view through the glass panels and kept on drinking water before I proceeded with the buffet dinner...


dusk at Labuan Rata... simply indescribable...


after dinner, we headed towards our cabin in Gunting Lagadan Hut for the night's rest. That wasn't our first choice because there's no heater there... and it's gonna be cold during the night, but Labuan Rata was fully booked...

__to be continued__

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I still remembered my climb. 1 hour per km for the few kms then aiyo like you lo...starting to slow down.

I stayed at Lagadan Hut too. I betcha it was COLD eh!!!!!!!!!!!

dreckker said...

oh yea... it was damn cold lah...
I was still okay as I got more layers of fat to burn... but Jo was really cold and was wearing her jacket while trying hard to sleep lor...

Anonymous said...

Owwhh..such pretty scenery. Always been wanting to go there but doubt my stamina though. keke. Need to be really fit to climb?

dreckker said...

for me, I think it's more about having to train up the leg muscles lor... coz I quite heavy, therefore I need to strengthen up the legs...

I think the most effective way would be doing step endurances, swimming and jogging...

Anonymous said...

wow dude. that sounded quite tough. but but, how can u let ur girl friend went up by herself? I mean, was it safe? I hope I can climb next year, so pls do rmbr your details, hotels and etc so that I can seek your consultation! hehe

dreckker said...

she is way fitter that I am wad... so might as well not waste time and wait for me... there's only one trail after the 1 or 2KM mark (I think) that leads to Labuan Rata... so as long as you're careful, should be alright one lah...

need to clarify: she's not my gf, traveling buddy would be more appropriate.... :)

Unknown said...

looks like a nice view from the top.. but can see it can be tiring :)

dreckker said...

I think if you're fit enough, doesn't smoke (well, I do smoke, so you know the reason...), and do train for a while on stamina as well as do more steps to train up the leg muscles, going up Mount Kinabalu should be an enjoyable experience.

despite my tiredness, I still enjoy my trip up Mount K, and I plan to go up there again when I shed off more excess pounds and increase the leg endurance... :)

Anonymous said...

i didn't specifically said she's ur girlfriend as in the other half.. if you noticed, i mentioned girl (space) friend. as in, friend la. hehehe :P dun misunderstood. hehe :P

dreckker said...

isshh... kacau me only lah... -____-

so how was your birthday?? got any celebrations or stuff like that kah??

Anonymous said...

bo la.. no celebration. no excitement di. the figure also didn't excite me enough. hehe just gathering with friends lo. :P